Thursday, March 18, 2010

Saucy, Sassy, *SAUCED!*


I think I should have titled this one “How to feel swanky in 3.5 seconds” or maybe “It’s the Bee’s Knees.” Because between the décor and food I felt like I was given some pretty awesome rose-colored glasses; at least to wear for about an hour.
This lovely establishment is the newest creation of Ria the owner of Grant Park’s Ria’s Blue Bird Café. Having had much success with “Blue Bird” I assume she was just ready for something new.  Blue Bird is open mostly for breakfast/lunch hours with a few fun exceptions from time to time and it’s full of local flare and good eats like Carmelized Banana Pancakes, and the Southwest Tofu Scramble. I have to say although some hate the idea, I love that a restaurant will have only a small menu and focus on how to make those few things the BEST POSSIBLE. Even the “No substitutions” sign; I’m totally a fan when properly executed. Both Sauced and Blue Bird are set up this way and guess what? I don’t mind one bit, because the food and experience at both comes from someone who, in my opinion, has given total thought to what’s on the menu.
With that said, I’d also like to mention that I’m totally impressed and here’s why. The simple fact is that normally I can’t stand that many Atlanta eateries will take an edible known as a simple food, find a way to call it exotic, and then overcharge you for it without changing it or tweaking it even a little. So, how do you take something like a collard green and make it worth hard earned money? Here’s how. Turn them into a creative southern food version of Dolmas with dates and brown rice… but then, here’s the best part: at the same time, make me feel that my moolah is well spent. That’s most of the frustration for me-- you can’t expect me to pay $20 for a bowl of red beans and rice just because you put the words “New Orleans Style” on the menu. (I know how much it costs to feed a family of 10 for a week on red beans and rice; Grandma was the budget Queen).
Take that same red bean and make ice cream out of it… the first time I saw that so many moons ago I had to take a second look. Growing up eating red beans meant hot, spicy, savory, and delicious but they were a must on the economic wealth scale in the state of Louisiana; a proud poor man tradition. To find out another culture turned that same food into a cold, creamy sweet, well that was impressive.
Besides the creative menu full of worthy yet affordably priced dining, drinks, and snacks; even the feel of my visit to Sauced really was something I hadn’t experienced in a while. What with most of us feeling the effects of this fun economic recession, even going on a nice date could end up on the chopping block.  But this meal was different. It was a little swanky, a little boozy, a little southern, but all over the map, and generally “Feel Good with a little Sass”. My entree left me thinking, “Well that was different than my usual dinner choices, but man do I wish I could fit in some more of that!”

The staff were all dressed up and looking dapper, very polite, and informative but you didn’t feel like you were paying for a shirt and tie or pretty napkins. Even the artwork takes me back to one of my favorite movies of all time (my own personal nostalgia), with a pink elephant mural on the wall. It just feels fun in there! My imagination predicted that next time I might play along and wear a small shoulder fur with a matching hat… just so I could fling it off when I randomly found card game at the next table. But I digress…
The good stuff; here’s what we ordered.
Appetizers:
“Sticky Fingers- Sauced 3 ways, choice of 3 skewers- Georgia White Shrimp, Farm Raised Chicken, Crispy Nauga bone
We tried one of each skewer. Pretty dang tasty with all the fun sauces including: aioli, and sesame! The nauga bone was little chunks of crispy fried Seitan.
Rosemary skewered chicken livers- grilled with rustic fennel apple jam and brioche” (on the Right)
My favorite; mainly because sometimes I’m a werewolf. Creamy iron-y salty grilled bites of liver that you can swirl around in sweet apple-y fennel-y goodness. Can’t go wrong with the sweet + salty combo on my end. I’m very much a “buttered popcorn and peanut M&Ms in one giant bite” kinda girl. mmmmm
Entrees:
Guinness braised short rib wellington with mushroom duxelle, Colman’s mustard paint, house demi, brussels sprouts
This one I tried mostly because before I ordered it we had a mini discussion on whatever the hell Beef Wellington actually was. Assuming ignorantly, I decided it was some British stew like Mutton or something and I guess I wasn’t too far off. But it actually started off as a pastry! (a meat pastry that is….) It came as a flaky pastry sitting on a slightly larger circle of brown gravy, and when you took a knife to it thick stewed beef came pouring out. 
Shredded, wonderous, gravy laden beeves….WOW. To accompany, it came with a side of simply roasted brussels sprouts and being the sulfurous veggie lover that I am. I give it thumbs up.
Tony Luke’s chicken breaded cutlet with garlic rapini, sharp provolone, over spicy red sauce, with roasted fingerlings
The boyfriend picked this one since Tony Luke’s is a widely known Philadelphia staple, selling various foods including many sandwiches, phillys, hoagies; but really just about everything: hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.  The Gorilla is from Philly… his family likes to go for the Pork Sandwiches… and they are pretty YUM but that’s a side note for the credibility of the cutlet! It was a breaded chicken cutlet smothered in spicy tomato sauce and a little garlic-y rapini (broccoli raab) piled on top. Fingerling potatoes were on the side; roasted.
Cocktail:
Blue Moon-hendricks gin, fresh squeezed lemon juice, crème de violet”
This was a pleasant surprise. The drink menu really looked delicious. After wanting to try them all, the waitress pointed out that the caffeine and sugar in the “Speedball” might keep me up (it was 10pm!) so, I went to the next best thing. How tantalizing… Crème de Violet… That sounded amazing. (Grandma also kept violet candy in her purse regularly so it was a familiar deliciousness.) Out came a cocktail big enough for two; half in a martini glass, half in an iced orb as a refill. I was happily buzzed up after the first couple sips. Why? Two reasons. A) I’m a lightweight, and B) IT WAS POTENT. Even better, the drink was so flavorful and the booze was so nice that it wasn’t at all like licking a bandaid. It was more like a violet flavored rainbow in my mouth. mmmm.
Boyfriend had a beer, but I was so focused on ordering chicken livers that I didn’t pay attention to the name. Guess that makes me a bad critic. But the beer he chose was right up my alley as well. Dark, Creamy, Chocolatey, and Potent.
Really I think you could probably put on a blindfold or let the staff order for you and you’d be pleasantly pleased all the same. You don’t have to like chicken livers to have a great time there. Just go get drunk, it will make you have a good time whether you think you will, or not! And, hey if you wanna dress up, do it! I’m sure Ria will appreciate your enthusiasm ;-)

http://www.saucedatlanta.com

753 Edgewood Ave
Atlanta, GA 30307
(404) 688 - 6553

2 comments:

  1. Finally some public attention about this place! It is definitely one of my hang-outs, I am there a loooot. Thank you for reviewing and helping to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Ria is so good at what she does, she deserves as much attention as she can get!

    ReplyDelete