Friday, January 15, 2010

BAGEL PALACE Deli and Bakery!!! A hidden Jewish Deee-light

Okay so this place is totally unassuming. Well I guess most of the places I tend to go end up being unassuming but this one may have been more for me because its in the middle of the Emory/ Toco Hills area of town (often weird to think it’s still Atlanta) in between two major grocery stores. Without knowing better I could have easily assumed it was one of those awful Honey Baked Ham franchises or something while driving by. That is a regretful assumption Friends. This is probably the first and only place that I’ve been to in Georgia that reminded me of that awesome lox bagel I shared with my cousin Colette a couple years back while visiting her in Manhattan.

First of all, the menu is GIGANTOR… front and back has a huge list in tiny print with all of your million choices. This day I was interested in bagels and their accompaniments (like the name suggests) so of course staying true to myself, I chose the Lox Plate --thin sliced smoked salmon! (bagel on the Right)

(one on the Left is Pastrami... mmmmm)

!Note!

To clear up any future confusion….

There are often two versions of this fun food… you can have a “Lox Plate” like I had, or you can order a “Bagel with Lox”.

Here’s the difference: “Bagel with Lox” is often your spread---cream cheese mixed with chunks of smoked salmon. The “Lox Plate” is more of a make it yourself sandwich with cream cheese to slather on your bagel, and thin large slices of smoked salmon with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and capers to layer on top!

Don’t get me wrong the “Bagel with Lox” is equally delicious. The first time I had “LOX” was in the spread form. During that trip to New York I mentioned, we walked into a neighborhood deli and inside were about a billion different billowing fluffy spreads (very reminiscent of Gelato) behind a gleaming glass counter. YUM.

Lucky me. Due to my boyfriend’s inability to stay away from good food, I got to try the “Bagel with Lox” from Bagel Palace what felt like maybe 24 hours later!

Salty, fishy, chewy, cream cheesy goodness on a soft bagel. And lets not forget to mention that you have choices with the bagels: Poppy Seed, Garlic, Plain, Everything, and the list goes on…

And that’s not all! Besides having anything from Challah French Toast and Pancakes with eggs and all your normal breakfast items, you have everything Jewish (something not normally on the radar here in the south)… (all Kosher deli) Brisket, Salami, Pastrami, Liverwurst, Sardines, Whitefish, Gefilte fish, Tongue, and even Chopped Liver, just to name a few choice meats. There are also appetizers and sides that range from Knish’s with spicy mustard and Potato Latkes, to every type of fish or pasta salad. And never to be forgotten, there is also a second shiny giant glass counter with every delicious bakery item imaginable. Cookies and pastry galore.

FYI I’ve also tried the Pastrami Bagel Sandwich (pictured above) on a separate occasion and it was just as insanely delicious and I’m sad to say that there’s still so many new things to try and that I’m forcing myself not to just do what I always do and eat the same thing over and over melting with satisfaction.

Second part to the new years resolution: I’m gonna have to keep the treadmill running at this point . . . Cheers!



2869 North Druid Hills Rd
Atlanta, GA 30329
(404) 381-1237

(*Up NEXT*... something outside of my realm of existance but equally neat: ADVENTURES IN VEGAN BAKING)


5 comments:

  1. I went there once and there was a cockroach in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear "Aaron" to counteract your haterism on MY blog, just a little tid bit of information that I'm sure you're already well aware of. Most restaurants are filthy to begin with. People are behind closed doors poking unwashed fingers in your food, employees are NOT washing and have RE-wrapped the used silverware you just stuck in your mouth (seen that with my very own eyes), coughing their H1N1 all over your salads and straws while trying to hustle over to your table before you throw a hissy fit and dash all chances for a tip, and let's not forget that most major cities are on constant defense to keep away roaches and rats by the BILLIONS... chew on that. ;-) You might need to make peace with the awkward reality of public food-- nature wants a delicious bite too. I just try to ignore the lurking inevitable, but thanks for the reminder buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffered for years from anorexia. But I have broken those chains thanks to Taste Bud!!!
    Just kidding!!!
    Seriously, I do like the bagel Palace (and the blog's artwork btw) and it's vast menu. Very delicious and fresh, and the prices are reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this place! I seriously thought I was the only person under 50 who knew about it.

    ReplyDelete